Wednesday, September 7, 2011

What Do You Think? (Honors Orientation Blog Post #1 Part 2)

"It didn't occur to me at the time, but it's obvious to me now that in creating the fictional Don, I was creating the person I wanted to be, the person worth telling stories about.  It never occurred to me that I could re-create my own story, my real life story, but in an evolution I had moved toward a better me.  I was creating someone I could live through, the person I'd be if I redrew the world, a character that was me but flesh and soul other.  And flesh and soul better too."
(Miller, Donald. A Million Miles in a Thousand Years. Thomas Nelson, Inc.: Nashville, 2009)

Is this re-creation of self realistic?  In the long run, what is the "better, fictional Don" going to do?  How can he make an impact on the world if he doesn't exist?  And who really has the power to transform himself/herself?  Us or God?  When we accept salvation, do we sign a contract saying that we will reform, or do we allow the Holy Spirit to renew our hearts, souls, and minds?  I just don't see where Miller is going with this season of "re-creating himself".

No comments:

Post a Comment